It’s about that time again – the end of the year means it’s time for a blog recap!
Looking back and reflecting on the past year is always fun. Fun in the sense that I get to relive the highs and lows that made this year special, and commit to memory all the amazing things I got to experience.
This was the year where I told myself to “INVEST” and invest I did. I invested in an office, a business coach, countless resources and tools to help my business grow, but more importantly I invested the time and effort to treat my business like a business, not a hobby. As I consider a new word of the year for 2018, I think I’m going to go with “CONNECT”. It’s time to start connecting ideas to actions and applying what I’ve learned in the last 12 months. I want to grow my relationships with fellow dietitians, those in my Kansas City community, family and friends. And it goes without saying that I want to connect with YOU! I hope our paths cross sometime in the new year, whether it be for the first time or for a chance to reconnect again.
And now for the food 🙂
Like I mentioned in last year’s post I garnered a lot of inspiration from my experiences with those of you who follow my blog and social media, both near and far. And just like last year, it turns out that some of my favorite recipes were some of yours as well! Check out the top 3 recipes from the past year (click the recipe title or photo to find the original post):
But there were plenty of other fan favorites that many of you tried in your own kitchens – I loved seeing how you put your own creative spin on these recipes! Here’s three more favorites from the blog this year that you might have missed.
Here’s a glance at 2017 by the numbers:
- 37 recipes – that’s a solid improvement over the 19 I had during the first year of the Street Smart Nutrition Blog. I still have a goal of bringing more delicious meal ideas to life, so if there’s something you want to see, shout it out!
- 3 amazing nutrition conferences. If you’re a dietitian or #RD2Be, consider the SCAN Spring Symposium, Today’s Dietitian Spring Symposium, and FNCE (of course). It was my first time attending FNCE but I’ll be back for more!
- Three back-to-back weeks of travel to learn more about our food system and the people who feed us – WHEW! Check out some of what I learned in this post about Arctic Apples, or check back to Instagram to see photos from my trip to Germany.
- 26.2 miles to complete my first marathon. I also completed a 39.3 series (three half marathons), a 30k series (three 10ks) and a handful of other events this year.
- 4 solid months of working full time in private practice! Majorly proud of myself for setting things up to be able to step away from a corporate job in September and pursue life as a nutrition entrepreneur.
- Zero remodeling projects on our fixer-upper house, no new pets (I’m not counting the possum that lives in the backyard), a first-anniversary with Mr. Street Smart, and babies galore as my friends start growing their little families! And I must apologize to my mother here, because she’s dying for a grandkid and I’m like, “Nope, sorry Mom, ain’t gonna happen.”
I know I said this last year when I thought 2016 would be tough to beat, but it’s been a pretty incredible year. If this pattern continues, 2018 is going to be better than ever! Stay tuned as I continue to add new nutrition services to be able to reach more of you in the coming year. If you haven’t signed up for my email list yet, be sure to hop up to the top of the page to get added!
So cheers to 2017 – I hope your year was just as much fun as mine way. Let’s bid the old year goodbye and welcome 2018 with open hearts and open minds. See you on the other side!