The good news it that there’s no shortage of options – citrus fruits are one of the few seasonal options during winter months when other varieties of fruit are either hard to find or much more expensive than usual. At my house we love packing cuties or clementines for lunches or snacks. They’re just so easy to peel there’s really no reason not to love them. But for other types or oranges and grapefruits, peeling is much more of a hassle.
Honestly, that’s one of the reason I don’t eat as many orange as I could. But lately I’ve rediscovered how good citrus can make other recipes taste – I’ve been adding slices and wedges to salads, wraps, and more and it’s gotten a lot easier since I mastered this technique.
Here’s a handy step-by-step guide to easily cut citrus slices at home – perfect for salads, grilling, baking, and more!
Looking for even more recipe inspiration to unload your stockpile of winter citrus? Check out these ideas from fellow dietitians and foodies:
Breakfast and Smoothies
- Vegan Mandarin Orange Creamy Coconut Smoothie Bowl from Amy Gorin Nutrition
- Creamy Orange Overnight Oats from Nutrition Starring YOU!
- Cottage Cheese, Orange, and Pomegranate Protein Bowl from Liz’s Healthy Table
- Wild Blueberry Tropical Citrus Smoothie from Shannon A. Garcia, MDS, RD, LD with KISS in the Kitchen
Main Dishes and Bowl
- Winter Goddess Bowl with Quinoa and Avocado Citrus Dressing from Gabriella Vetere, RD of Macrobalanced Nutrition
- Crispy Baked Cara Cara Orange Tofu from Katie Pfeffer MS, RD of One Hungry Bunny
- Orange Balsamic Chicken for Two from Whitney E., RD
- Sweetly Spiced Chicken Thighs from Jill Weisenberger, MS RD CDE
- Mimosa Poached Salmon Salad by Kara Golis, RD of Byte Sized Nutrition
- Quinoa Edamame Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Jennifer Hunt at Healthy Inspiration
- Pecan Crusted Goat Cheese Citrus Salad from Lively Table
- Orange, Pomegranate, and Walnut Salad from Beautiful Eats & Things
- Citrus Beet Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette from RDelicious Kitchen
- Citrus Avocado Salad from Judith Scharman Draughon, MS, RDN, LD and author of Lean Body, Smart Life
- Blood Orange Moroccan Salad from Dietitian Debbie
- Winter Citrus Fruit Salad with Pomegranate Rosemary Vinaigrette from Emily Kyle Nutrition
- Shaved Fennel and Citrus Salad with Orange-Ginger Dressing from Chef Catherine Brown, Organic Grower, Culinary Nutritionist at A Seat at My Table
Drinks and Cocktails
- Blood Orange Margaritas from Lively Table
- Blood Orange Chai Tea Latte from Sinful Nutrition
- Pomegranate Orange Mulled Wine from Whitney E. RD
And if you’re looking for a dessert option, check out this one from Chrissy Carroll:
- Broiled Grapefruit from Snacking In Sneakers
So that should get you started if you’re in a rut or tired of peeling winter citrus! What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy fruit during the winter months?